Dallas Area Woodturners (DAW) is a non-profit organization that was organized in 1996. The club focuses on helping our membership learn and grow through education, demonstrations and sharing techniques, tooling and best practices with one other. The DAW is active in community service through woodturning. Check out the DAW YouTube Channel for videos of DAW woodturning demonstrations.
The North Texas Food Bank is once again hosting “Empty Bowls” on February 23 from 6-9 pm at the Perot family campus in Plano. Please take a little time and make a bowl or several for Empty Bowls and bring them to the January Meeting.
Currently, we have about 150 bowls collected for the event. Most of them were donated by Lou Boudreaux. Thank You Lou!!! Our goal in the past has been 3 times that number. We have the February meeting to collect as many bowls as possible, so your contribution is needed.
Thanks to Kevin Bassett for his 24-hour bowl turning marathon in support of Empty Bowls. Kevin hit his goal of turning 50 bowls in 23 hours!! Below are photos of him during his turning marathon.
Finally, North Texas Food Bank has an area where we can demonstrate wooden bowl making. There is room and power to run two lathes. The area is outdoors and at night so we will have a good plan to deal with the normal weather and of course be ready to stand down should the weather be too bad. But try we will. Your bowls are converted into funds. Each dollar feeds many. No one should be hungry in this country and the NTFB is on the front lines of fighting hunger, our support is needed and appreciated.
Beads of Courage – Make a Box, Help a Child (Pre-Cut Kits Available)
As a child goes through the journey on treatment for cancer, blood conditions, heart disease or severe burns, they collect colorful beads as meaningful symbols of courage that commemorates milestones they have achieved along their unique treatment path. The DAW makes and donates boxes to hospitals who give them to these ill children for storing their beads of courage.
The DAW has pre-cut segmented box kits which are ready for glue-up and turning. Just pick up a kit, turn the box, and return it at a monthly meeting. We have directions for making the segmented box as well as additional information.
Sign-Up if You are Interested in Project Work
We occasionally get requests through our website for people who want something turned such as urns, spindles, bowls, etc. If you would like to be contacted when someone requests a turning project, then send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Sign me up for Projects”. When a project comes in, we will send you an email with the details. This benefit is for Members Only.
DAW Membership Information and Benefits
- Prospective members – Click here to JOIN THE CLUB
- Current members – Click here to RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP (Check your membership expiration date by logging in and going to https://dallaswoodturners.com/membership-account/)
- Monthly club meetings are held at WoodWorld of Texas typically on the 3rd Thursday of the month from 7:00 pm to 9pm. Come earlier to socialize! Visitors are welcome. Meetings typically include a live woodturning demonstration and a ‘show and tell’ session. You can also join the meeting through Zoom. Check the Events calendar.
- Open Shop is held at WoodWorld usually on the Saturday following the club meeting. During Open Shop, we set-up multiple lathes to help members improve their turning skills. No tools or wood needed. The club can provide everything needed. Check the Events calendar.
- Classes: We frequently invite nationally known turners and our own advanced members to teach classes. A small-group environment is an ideal way to learn. Check the Events calendar for ticket cost and availability.
- Forums: Members can ask questions and share their knowledge by posting on the Forum.
- Library Privileges: We have one of the most extensive libraries in the southwest with more than 1500 books, magazines, and videos from more than 200 authors on a wide variety of topics.
- Discounts: Members with an active paid membership card can receive discounts at selected local stores when buying in-person. In addition, members can purchase AnchorSeal through the club at a significant discount.
- Latest Newsletter: We publish a monthly newsletter that summarizes our activities. Please subscribe. Visit our archives to see older newsletters.