This forum’s rules are in line with the DAW organization. It is dedicated to the art and craft of woodturning and seeks to promote an environment of freely sharing our experiences and knowledge with one another in a setting that welcomes all people, skill levels and ages to participate. As such, please when posting/commenting, keep it free of offensive language, profanity, name calling/argumentative behavior, inferred innuendo or otherwise graphic posts. There will be no political oriented commentary allowed.

To post topics, reply and view images, you must be a registered member (free or paid).

Notifications
Clear all

February 2022 Member Turning Showcase. Theme: Things that Spin. Open skill level. Prizes awarded.

Admin
Topic starter
(@rondaw)

The theme for February is "Things that Spin". Anything from tops, toys, lazy susans, whatever else you can think of. If it spins, it's eligible.

Anyone may post in this thread, but there is another thread with prizes for more advanced turners, so even if you are new to turning, post your creation. 1 entry per member. Please provide a description, including wood(s) and other materials used as well as the dimensions of the work. Prizes will be awarded. Entries in the Advanced showcase are not eligible for the Open Showcase prize(s).

Note – Anyone winning first place in the Open competition 3 times will be only eligible for the Advanced contest. 3 time first place Open winners should only post in the Advanced contest thread.

See this post for totals https://dallaswoodturners.com/community/main-category-daw-member-creations/showcase-first-place-winners-list/#post-248

6 Replies
(@rongiordano)

This is a combination-lock box made for my grandson.  To open the box, the rings must be rotated to the correct combination.  When opened, there is a storage compartment that is revealed.  Made from maple, walnut, and mahogany.  5" high and 3-1/2" diameter.

(@davidyoung)

That really cool!  Thanks for sharing!

Admin
(@jldawadm)

Excellent. Always wanted to make one of those. Plans anywhere?

(@rongiordano)

@jldawadm Thanks.  Carl Jacobson has a great video on how to make a cryptex box.  See also my video here Cryptex Box - YouTube

(@dickkoch-2)

@rongiordano Great project, beautifully executed Ron. And your video was excellent. Very professional. I also have made a Cryptex puzzle box and found that it was a fun, challenging project.

(@rongiordano)

@dickkoch-2 Thanks for the kind comments.  Making the cryptex was fun, but after the third one I was ready to move on to other projects :-).  BTW, your Trumkreisel is a work of art!