This forum’s rules are in line with the DAW organization. It is dedicated to the art and craft of woodturning and seeks to promote an environment of freely sharing our experiences and knowledge with one another in a setting that welcomes all people, skill levels and ages to participate. As such, please when posting/commenting, keep it free of offensive language, profanity, name calling/argumentative behavior, inferred innuendo or otherwise graphic posts. There will be no political oriented commentary allowed.

To post topics, reply and view images, you must be a registered member (free or paid).

Notifications
Clear all

January 2022 Turning Showcase. Theme: Drinking vessels. Open skill level. Prizes awarded.

15 Posts
6 Users
16 Likes
Admin
Topic starter
(@jldawadm)

In the spirit (pun intended) of the New Years celebrations, January's theme is drinking vessels. Post a picture of your goblets, glasses, mugs, drinking bowls, etc.

Anyone may post in this thread, but there is another thread with prizes for more advanced turners, so even if you are new to turning, post your creation. 1 entry per member. Please provide a description, including wood(s) and other materials used as well as the dimensions of the work. Prizes will be awarded. Entries in the Advanced showcase are not eligible for the Open Showcase prize(s).

Note –  Anyone winning first place in the Open competition 3 times will be only eligible for the Advanced contest. 3 time first place Open winners should only post in the Advanced contest thread.

See this post for totals   https://dallaswoodturners.com/community/main-category-daw-member-creations/showcase-first-place-winners-list/#post-248

14 Replies
(@jimmccleskey)

@jldawadm

This is a wedding goblet I made for my cousin out of Chitalpa and had engraved. The captive rings finished darker than the rest of it but I swear it was all one piece of wood according to the tradition. I'll also follow up with another couple of items. Jim

(@jimmccleskey)

This is where it resides in their apartment in its place of honor in front of a stained glass window that came from one of his dad's (retired minister) churches.

(@jimmccleskey)

Second try.

(@jimmccleskey)

Those didn't work, so here's the legend I sent with the goblet. There are several versions you can find online.

(@jimmccleskey)

Admin
(@jldawadm)

Mike and Joan Sahl 

(@rongiordano)

Natural Edge Goblet, 5-1/2" high, found wood.

(@alainschwarz)

Drinking vessel made of miscellaneous scraps of wood. The inside was coated with epoxy, the outside finished with EEE and Mylands friction polish. 

submitted by Alain Schwarz. 

(@alainschwarz)

(@tonycohen)

This is my drinking vessel made out of scrap wood and stained with chestnut blue dye. 

(@chriscohen)

Tony made a bottle that is hollowed out.

(@chriscohen)

This is a functioning bottle topper that also serves as a functioning shot glass. Made out of White Oak to look like a whiskey barrel. The inside is charred and finished with just Mineral Oil so it is to be used. It is made to hold 1 1/2 oz.

(@chriscohen)

(@chriscohen)

And of course I has to test it.