This forum’s rules are in line with the DAW organization. It is dedicated to the art and craft of woodturning and seeks to promote an environment of freely sharing our experiences and knowledge with one another in a setting that welcomes all people, skill levels and ages to participate. As such, please when posting/commenting, keep it free of offensive language, profanity, name calling/argumentative behavior, inferred innuendo or otherwise graphic posts. There will be no political oriented commentary allowed.

To post topics, reply and view images, you must be a registered member (free or paid).

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Member Creations

Page 1 / 2

Admin
Topic starter
(@jldawadm)

Whether you are a beginner or a long time turner, this is a forum for DAW members to show their woodturning creations. Respectful comments are allowed. Remember the audience may include people of all ages and skill levels. Image uploads are limited to 2mb in size and 1 image per post. No for sale ads. Share and enjoy.

32 Replies
Admin
Topic starter
(@jldawadm)

Here's a cobra head walking stick with a knife hidden in the handle that I turned. It's made of Mahogany and Purpleheart with brass tip, connector and tip and a Celtic knot in Purpleheart. Legal in Texas.

Admin
Topic starter
(@jldawadm)
(@kevinbassett)

Trusted Member

@jldawadm

Nice! Do you have to use a steady on the long spindle?

Admin
(@jldawadm)

@kevinbassett Nope. But I have a revolving tail stock with a spindle that I can mount a chuck on. Handy for chucking stuff on both head and tailstock at the same time

Admin
Topic starter
(@jldawadm)

This is a forum for DAW members to show their woodturning creations. Respectful comments are allowed. Remember the audience may include people of all ages and skill levels. Image uploads are limited to 2mb in size and 1 image per post. No for sale ads. Share and enjoy.

Admin
Topic starter
(@jldawadm)

Post your creations to share at the April Meeting. Here's one to start. This a captive ring rattle made for a neighbor's kid. Made from a single piece of bald cypress. Finished by soaking in food safe mineral oil. no other finish.

(@kevinbassett)

Trusted Member

@jldawadm

Baby Rattle or Baby Barbell!
Either way I like it. 
KB

Admin
Topic starter
(@jldawadm)

Post any creations that you'd like to share with the club at the March 18th Club meeting.

Admin
Topic starter
(@jldawadm)

Neighbor had an elm tree that split in a storm 18 months ago so I scavenged a couple of big pieces and made this 13 1/2" x 3" bowl. Love the grain.

(@kevinbassett)

Trusted Member

@jldawadm

Good job! What's the finish? 

(@traines-2)

I turned this oval box in Dec last year. I have turned a couple more this past month for a demo but I do not have photos yet. 

(@kevinbassett)

Trusted Member
(@kevinbassett)

Trusted Member

@traines-2

I want to see that demo!

(@traines-2)

Also on topic for this month are my 'ring turned' flags. This project was from 2017. Ring turning is fun and results in multiples... I ended up with about 90 flags from one turning.

(@traines-2)

Here is a few ...

(@kevinbassett)

Trusted Member
Posted by: @traines-2

Here is a few ...

This is a real good production trick isn't it. Compared to cutting out 80 or 90 flag blanks 1 at a time, turn the profile once and saw them apart. Cool idea. Simon Beggs mentioned it but didn't cover a lot of detail. Is there a way to index the sawing to keep the thickness even and on the same plane? Or do you just eyeball that part? 

(@traines-2)

@kevinbassett Please read the article and watch my YT video. I indexed the ring, cut it free then used Styrofoam as a middle for centering on my bandsaw sliding table.

(@kevinbassett)

Trusted Member

@traines-2

Will do 

Thanks

(@traines-2)

Reply to this topic with your show & tell items for Feb 2021

(@jimlarocca)

Flame Box Elder Chip and Dip platter. 15.5" x 3"

(@kevinbassett)

Trusted Member
(@kevinbassett)
Trusted Member

@jimlarocca

chips and salsa! Nice work on the Flame Box Elder!

(@jimlarocca)

@kevinbassett Thanks. Now to see if it works during the Superbowl...

(@traines-2)

Here is a spatula and spoon from my Fantastic Kitchen Utensil demo from late in Jan. Simple hard maple with no finish.

(@traines-2)

Here is a closer view and shows how the spatula stays on the pot rim. This keeps it at the ready and leaves the mess in the pot or pan and not on the counter or cooktop. Fantastic!!

Page 1 / 2