This forum’s rules are in line with the DAW organization. It is dedicated to the art and craft of woodturning and seeks to promote an environment of freely sharing our experiences and knowledge with one another in a setting that welcomes all people, skill levels and ages to participate. As such, please when posting/commenting, keep it free of offensive language, profanity, name calling/argumentative behavior, inferred innuendo or otherwise graphic posts. There will be no political oriented commentary allowed.

To post topics, reply and view images, you must be a registered member (free or paid).

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] November Member Turning Showcase. Theme: Holiday Turnings. Open skill level. Prizes awarded.

Admin
Topic starter
(@jldawadm)

November's theme is Holiday related turnings. Post your Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or for you Seinfeld fans Festivus turnings.

Festivus for the rest of us

Anyone may post in this thread, but there is another thread with prizes for more advanced turners, so even if you are new to turning, post your creation. 1 entry per member. Please provide a description, including wood(s) and other materials used as well as the dimensions of the work. Prizes will be awarded. Entries in the Advanced showcase are not eligible for the Open Showcase prize(s).

Note –  Anyone winning first place in the Open competition 3 times will be only eligible for the Advanced contest. 3 time first place Open winners should only post in the Advanced contest thread.

See this post for totals  https://dallaswoodturners.com/community/main-category-daw-member-creations/showcase-first-place-winners-list/#post-248

3 Replies
(@philw1956)

I've been wanting to turn a lidded vessel for a while. I have been turning snowmen lately, so I decided to turn my first true lidded vessel and put a snowman on its top. This was a lot of fun and I like the way it turned out.

The vessel is made from American Elm, which I acquired from a tree that my neighbor cut down a while back. I finished it with Walnut Oil. The snowman is made of Figured Western Maple. I think both had some really nice grain and coloring. It is 6.5" tall and 4" in diameter at its larges point. 

I've been turning since late 2019.

(@kevinbassett)

Trusted Member

@philw1956 - Nice Job! Keep up the good work!

(@philw1956)