This forum’s rules are in line with the DAW organization. It is dedicated to the art and craft of woodturning and seeks to promote an environment of freely sharing our experiences and knowledge with one another in a setting that welcomes all people, skill levels and ages to participate. As such, please when posting/commenting, keep it free of offensive language, profanity, name calling/argumentative behavior, inferred innuendo or otherwise graphic posts. There will be no political oriented commentary allowed.

To post topics, reply and view images, you must be a registered member (free or paid).

Notifications
Clear all

10x18 harbor freight

Topic starter
(@l-o-guvna)

Against the advice of everyone, I stumbled onto a HF unit on craigs list for 100 dollars.  it was listed at 150, but we ended up at 100, and he even threw in a set of tools.  I showed them to John last Saturday, and they are ok for beginners.  

Sharing this info here because after I bought it, the belt broke, so I went to replace it, HF doesn't stock that, so I assumed it was the same as an excelsior - and in all this, was told this should be a JET 1014 belt.  Its not.  the 1014 is too short, and it ended up being a Rikon belt - same size as the HF unit, and appears to be better quality.  the HF belt looked cheap - this one looks like the material for an engine belt.  

Anyway, I've been turning some blanks, cutting chunks up from my wood pile, and turning that.  Getting better at this each time I chuck up a piece of wood.  We broke a wine glass stem today, and I thought - I can turn a base, drill a hole for the rest of the stem, and put a finish on it, and back on the shelf.  

I really enjoy this crowd, and appreciate all the leadership everyone has shown to me.  I'll get a nice lathe after I wear this one out, and in the mean time, I'll practice on these tools, and then start replacing them too.

cheers

Chris

4 Replies
(@glenboudreaux)

@l-o-guvna Chris, Welcome to the group.  Its always good to get new members.  Dont forget our meetings are on the 3rd Thursday of the month.  Starting again in Jan. Open shop is the Saturday after the club meetings. Hope you can attend those.  That is where you can get ideas and help on your turning skills from seasoned turners in the club.  They always are eager to help you with whatever you need help with.  Hope to see you at the next meeting.  Again, welcome to the group.  

Glen Boudreaux

(@jimlarocca)

Great to have you here. Stories like this are what DAW is all about. If you want help with anything specific, you can go to https://dallaswoodturners.com/member-resources/ and select Mentors from the menu. Feel free to contact any of those members listed.

Jim LaRocca

Topic starter
(@l-o-guvna)

Thank you - Glen, I think we have met a few times.  I have been to 3 thursday workshops.  I have turned at least 3 times on the open house saturdays.  And thank you, Jim - Kevin Bassett lives in my neighborhood, and has helped me with one project.  Everyone has been very helpful - big thanks to John for watching over us on the saturday open houses.  this makes more sense each day.  

As bad as the grinds are on these beginner tools, I started practicing coves on what looks like a candle stick holder.  On friday, the cat tipped over one of Linda's big wine goblets -breaking the base off - the wine part and stem are fine - so, now I'll turn a base for that, stain it, drill a hole in the end - kinda like making a weed pot, but fitted to that stem, and put it back on the shelf.  and my daughter wants me to make spindle legs for her new cabinet in her room.  i already have work to do.  and it aint a great lathe, and these aint great tools, but they are fine for me for right now.

cheers

Chris

(@jimlarocca)

HA... Your 'Honey Do' list has now been expanded more than you can imagine....and it extends to relatives and friends, and will grow as your skills do. I just got an 'order' from my gal for 5 of these vases for Xmas presents (free of course). Wouldn't have it any other way though. It's good to be wanted. 8>D ....