This forum’s rules are in line with the DAW organization. It is dedicated to the art and craft of woodturning and seeks to promote an environment of freely sharing our experiences and knowledge with one another in a setting that welcomes all people, skill levels and ages to participate. As such, please when posting/commenting, keep it free of offensive language, profanity, name calling/argumentative behavior, inferred innuendo or otherwise graphic posts. There will be no political oriented commentary allowed.

To post topics, reply and view images, you must be a registered member (free or paid).

Notifications
Clear all

Home made hollowing rig

Topic starter
(@danwolf)

I made my own hollowing rig and steady rest – it was a pandemic project.  I looked at commercially available rigs and took what I thought were the best parts of each.  It’s a Frankenstein hollowing rig.  It was amazingly simple to make – a few cuts on a horizontal bandsaw, drill holes and a few taps.  It is put together with bolts.  The original plan was to put together with bolts, test it, make sure the geometry was right, make adjustments then weld the pieces together.  Surprisingly, the rig is very stiff, little to no vibration so I didn’t need to weld it.  I think this is a result of the decision to make it out of thicker than needed steel (I am good at over engineering things).  The laser holder needs to be reworked.  But it is good enough for now.  It’s made of 1018 steel and a little bit of aluminum.    The cutting tools are 1018 5/8” round bar with ¼” M42 cutters.  Total cost was about $100.  I also made a sharpening jig to hold the cutters. 

6 Replies
Topic starter
(@danwolf)
Topic starter
(@danwolf)

Picture of sharpening jig

Admin
(@jldawadm)

looks great. I love shop made rigs.

(@kevinbassett)

Eminent Member

@jldawadm

Looks great! What is the maximum depth you can go with it?

KB

(@danwolf)

@kevinbassett  I can go 14".  If I got bed extension, probably 20".

(@kevinbassett)

Eminent Member

@danwolf

nice! It gets a little crazy way down there around 20” no matter what captive system you go with. John Tisdale does his hollowing a bit different... take a look at Planet Mesquite that’s about 36” in diameter. He has a bit larger hole but the trick is the tool rest which is curves and can fit way down inside the piece so he’s never very far past the support. He also uses a Monroe cutter on a long handle. Check out Ed Mouthrup. He was the pioneer in big vessel deep hollowing. I believe his son and grandson are still active turners. But we lost Ed a few years ago. His work was extraordinary. In our club John Tisdale is the main man for this area of turning. Also, his automotive type finishes are incredible. I’m a bit to impatient for all of that. We are fortunate to have so many skilled and talented turner’s in DAW. Hopefully we’ll get back to live meetings soon. I look forward to seeing you there... bring something for show and tell!

KB