- This event has passed.
Member class – Janice Levi – Jewelry Made Easy
February 19 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm$100.00
Jewelry Made Easy
Saturday February 19th , we will have a Jewelry Made Easy class taught by Janice Levi.
Location: Wood World
Time: 10 am to 4 pm
Making beautiful jewelry can be accomplished without using purchased jigs or chucks or without complicated enhancements. By allowing the beauty of the wood to take center stage, stunning necklace and earring sets can be turned. Attendees will learn how to turn crossgrain disks, endgrain disks and endgrain beads. They will also learn how to assemble the jewelry sets using inexpensive pliers and jewelry findings.
The demo/class will include:
- Selecting the assorted woods—hard, soft, burled, bark-included (there are few limits)
- Preparing two wasteblocks for turning crossgrain disks using double-sided tape to secure the blank. One wasteblock is trued flat and the other is turned slightly concave.
- Instruction on using the bowl gouge to turn the crossgrain blank
- Turning the endgrain disk by inserting the square-edged stock into a chuck
- Using a drill press to sand the back side of the disk
- Instruction on using a spindle or detail gouge to turn endgrain
- Turning the endgrain beads using square-edged stock inserted into a chuck
- Using a Jacob’s chuck with 1/16″ bit to drill center hole in each bead
- Applying finish
- Assembling the disks and beads on a chain by using jump rings and neck clasps
- Assembling earrings by using jump rings and ear wires